Celebration in Haifa
Authorizing Haifa invites the audience to celebrate the diverse literature written about the city from a literary and theatrical perspective, via theatrical, music and art performances.
Haifa is a literary laboratory of encounters; city and nature, sea and mountain, Arabs and Jews, classes, ethnic groups and languages coexist in space. For the literary world, Haifa is a platform and horizon for an abundance of gazes, insights and imaginations. Its streets and landscapes contain depths and contrasts beyond what any other Israeli city can imagine. Authorizing Haifa event—supported by the National Lottery Council for the Arts and Culture, the Haifa Municipality and the Haifa Cultural Foundation—invites the audience to dive into the city and literature at once. The event celebrates the diverse literature written about the city through a literary and theatrical perspective: literary and music events alongside theatrical and performance acts that shed a new light on Haifaite literature.
Says Rotem Attar, director of A Place for Poetry center in Haifa: "When I was exposed to the gamut of literature written about Haifa and the richness of this literature, I realized that something had to be done with it. An event that will give a platform to this wealth, a place where it will be possible to discuss the interesting question, what makes the literature written about Haifa unique? How is it different from the literature about Tel Aviv or Jerusalem? So many important authors have written about the city and dealt with it: A.B. Yehoshua, Yehudit Katzir, Amir Gutfreund, Esti G. Haim, Amos Oz and many more. Each had a different attitude towards the city as a character or as a backdrop to the occurrence in the book, but there is a broad common denominator that touches on what is unique in Haifa: the multiculturalism, the possibility of a different encounter. It is a most interesting reflection of Israeli society".
1. 20 Years, Video installation after The Return to Haifa by Ghassan Kanafani, Oded Hirsch and Muhammad Wahi
Photo by: יח"צ
The event offered food and drink stalls and the sale of books and music.
All rights reserved to A Place for Poetry © 2022 | Web Design: David Ross Studio | Development: Daniel Davidovsky
- Museums and Galleries – Exhibition Catalog Production Support
- Haifa City Museum - New Ideals: the Image of the New Woman in Photography
- Haifa City Museum – What Will the Neighbors Say?
- Mane-Katz Museum – The Party, Sculptures by Yosl Bergner exhibition catalog
- Beit HaGefen –Holiday of Holidays Festival Catalogs over the Years
- Beit HaGefen. Assistance in producing Third Space exhibition
- MadaTech Museum –Alexander Baerwald Memorial Exhibition Catalog
- Haifa Artists - Catalog Production Assistance
- Dror Auslander
- Hanna Eichengreen
- Shmuel Ben-Ami
- Tamar Gerchuk
- Dov Medzini
- Mohamad Fadel
- Anna Pasternak
- Sana Farah Bishara
- Aviva Shemer
- The Department of Fine Arts - Dr. Hecht Arts Center, Haifa University
- HaAgaf Art Gallery
- Assistance in financing student tours at the Munio Gitai Museum
- Subsidizing Exhibitions at the Teaching Gallery
- Assisting Guides of Workshops of Mutual Artistic Activity for Various Sectors
- Celebration in Haifa