Joint Activities of the Jewish and Arab Sectors
Over the years, the Foundation has worked to promote dialogue and understanding between Arab and Jewish residents of the city through various cultural projects. In addition to the Foundation's annual support for the Holiday of Holidays Festival (see under Plastic Arts / Museums and Galleries - Support for Cataloging Exhibitions / Beit HaGefen), the Foundation supported many joint activities:
- Jewish - Arab youth and student meetings
At the initiative of Ort Carmel School Committee, Jewish-Arab youth meetings were organized among various schools.
During the meetings, the guests toured the hosting school and its surroundings, ate lunch together and met for personal conversations.
As the responses of the participants in those meetings were very positive, Haifa Arts Foundation saw fit to encourage this project, and therefore for several years helped Ort Carmel School by covering the travel expenses of the guests, as well as other expenses.
- Arabic language tour guides at the Maritime Museum
The Foundation's management responded to the request of the Maritime Museum in Haifa to assist in funding Arabic language tour guidance for Arabic speaking visitors. Most of the visitors who speak Arabic are students of the schools who were unable to make the most of their visit to the museum because of the language barrier.
- Arab-Jewish Community Evening
Haifa Arts Foundation subsidized tickets for high school students of Arab schools and students of oriental courses from schools in Haifa, for the play that was at the center of the annual Gala Evening of the Arab Friends of the Haifa Foundation, House of Bernarda Alba, by Federico Garcia Lorca, performed by Al-Midan Theater and starring Salwa Nakkara, Mohammad Bakri and others.
In addition, the Foundation subsidized admission tickets for students for another play by Al-Midan Theater, The Barber from Baghdad.
- Support for a project in cooperation with the Ghetto Fighters' Museum
Leo Baeck School and the Italian School in Haifa held an activity at the Humanistic Center at the Ghetto Fighters' House, in the belief that joint work on the subject of the Holocaust would contribute to a dialogue and will help create mutual understanding. In addition, these encounters led to personal acquaintance between students from different cultures. Activities in this framework included the following components:
- Exposing the educational approach and working methods of the Center for Humanistic Education.
- A continuous workshop over several months, for students who chose to deal with the Holocaust, was held once a week, with a regular coach.
- Neighbors Seminar - a two-day seminar dealing with the meanings of being neighbors in a mixed city. The seminar is unique for Haifa students.
- A multi-cultural summer seminar, co-organized by Jewish, Arab and Druze graduates from all Holocaust-related workshops dealing with current issues such as the struggle against racism and protection of minority rights. At the same time, the workshops dealt with the history of the Palestinian people.
- Meetings of seminar graduates, once every three months, at which the Jewish and Arab students discussed current issues.
The Foundation has approved giving awards for translations from Arabic to Hebrew, and vice versa, in order to bring Israeli Jewish culture closer to that of the Arab world.
SOCIETY AND COMMUNITY
- Israel Szabo – A Portrait
- Scholarships of the late Israel Szabo
- Scholarships 2021
- Scholarships 2015
- Scholarships 2014
- Scholarships 2013
- Scholarships 2012
- Scholarships 2011
- Scholarships 2010
- Arts Enrichment Project in Schools
- Approximation of Disabled Populations to Art
- Calligraphy Workshop - a Cooperation between Yavnieli and El Hiwar Schools
- Social Club for the Blind in Beit Heine
- Ahva - Association of the Disabled in Haifa and the North
- Ilan - Israeli Foundation for Handicapped Children
- Joint Projects for Special Education and Regular School Students
- Genigar School
- Henrietta Szold School
- Ofakim School Integrates with Ironi Hei, Ahuzat Yeladim, Reali Carmel Center and the Open School
- Aiding the Scout Movement in a disadvantaged neighborhood in Haifa
- Sea Scouts Troop, Haifa - Israel Maritime League
- Joint Activities of the Jewish and Arab Sectors
- Haifa Big Brothers Big Sisters Association
- Assistance to At-Risk Youth
- Purchasing Books for Libraries